We had a new stove delivered and the delivery driver asked me if I like to cook. I said, “No, I like to eat. Don’t get this twisted my friend.” I like to eat good food and fill up my belly. I like to make good food for my family especially when they are working hard at work or school. They deserve great food too in their belly.
Tacos are usually for Taco Tuesday but here’s a new version of tacos for Tuesday.
Ingredients: Feeds a family of 5
- 2 lbs. of lean ground beef
- About 2 tbsp. of taco seasoning (May need a 3rd tbsp. – Depends on your taste buds.)
- About 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp. of Fajita Seasoning (optional – But it does give if a bit extra flavor.)
- 8 oz. of Zesty Italian Dressing (Or you can also use the regular Italian.)
- 1 lb. of homemade beans preferably. (If no homemade on hand, use a small can of Charro beans – Your Preference.) I highly recommend the HEB beans. They even have spicy ones with jalap! That’s code for jalapeno!
- 1 to 2 Chopped Tomatoes
- Half of Lettuce – Shredded
- Bag of Tortilla Chips (Any Flavor.)
- Chopped Onion/Green Onion
- 1 Avocado
- Shredded Cheese (Any kind you like.)
- Sour Cream
Making the Taco Meat Mixture:
Brown up the ground beef on my old trusty Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick until it’s cooked thoroughly and then mix in your seasoning into the same pan. If you and your family enjoy lots of flavor then adjust seasonings as you like. Once seasoning is all mixed with the meat then pour in the 8 oz. of Zesty Italian Dress and allow to heat up very hot while mixing the meat mixture for at least a good 5 minutes more. Make sure and stir. You don’t want to dressing to burn into the pan. You just want it heated and sticking to the meat mixture.
And you are done with making the Taco Meat Mixture!
Assembling the Taco Salad:
We basically get a scoop of beans into a bowl then layer in a scoop of the taco meat, followed by fresh tomatoes, shredded lettuce, maybe some chopped green onion, slices of avocado, a scoop of sour cream, and topped with crushed tortilla chips and some shredded cheese. And don’t forget that dash of hot sauce!
I hope you enjoy as much as I like to share our home recipes from Texas to your table.